Monday 26 November 2007

Exam

Dear David,
Last Monday, I saw a very horrible picture. The idea and the emotions, which the picture conveys are very amazing. Maybe you know it; it’s called “The Problem we all live with”. It depicts five people, a little black girl between four white police men. The painting is by Norman Rockwell.
The picture shows, how racist our community was! On the wall in the background, somebody wrote “Nigger”. I think the Deputy US Marshalls protect the little girl. I wonder how. They bear no weapons.
You also can see a smashed tomato on the ground. First I thought it was blood, which is onto the street. Very mysterious, that only the black girl wears white clothes and the men wear brown and grey suits. They don’t look like policemen, because they look very rich and high-class. I think Norman Rockwell wants to show that white people didn’t have a clean record.
Maybe the black girl is on her way to school, because she carries some books! I’m quite sure that the men didn’t really protect her. It’s only pretence. The men behind her keep distance. They are only protecting themselves. The tomato was a new one. I think it was aimed at the girl.
The picture is really well painted and the message makes me think. Racism is a very big problem, because a lot of people hide their true feelings.
That is my own opinion and I’m quite keen to read yours. I also put a copy of the picture to the letter. I hope you like it.
Yours, Simon
~263 words

No comments: